Monday, November 20, 2017

Tyakrah Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
Hey, this is J.R. speaking (or rather writing)! Sure, Tyakrah came together in 2016 to play some atmospherical and melancholic Black Metal. I had this project for some time in my head, but I never could pull it off like I wanted to, there were always some obstacles. Mostly that I suck at playing guitar. After I met I. XII while working on another project, it took me quite some time to convince him... But after i bothered him enough he finally agreed and Tyakrah was born. He gave Tyakrah a more melodic edge without compromising on the melancholic vibe which is what I really like. But he likes to stay rather anonymous, which is fine by me.

2.In October you had released your first album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
It is some very atmospherical Black Metal with a lot of Lead and Solo Guitars, which may throw some people off, but it makes perfect sense for us. It also has a quite "Epic" feel to it, hence our Label has featured us as an Epic Black Metal Band. We also like to experiment with dark Ambient sounds as you can here in the interludes. I think it gives a bit more depth to the Album as a whole and underlines the atmosphere. But we only do that if we really think it needs to be there, it's not just a filler for us.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
Well, that is a very good question. Our Album "Wintergedanken" (Winterthoughts) is a concept album about the winter as a destructive but necessary force. I wanted to do this a long time ago, but of course, this will not be the only lyrical topic in Tyakrah. But in fact I don't know what else there will be in the future. I will decide that on the run, when we are writing new songs, because of course it has to fit the music.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Tyakrah'?
That is totally up to yourself as it has no constant meaning.

5.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you open to expanding your line up or do you prefer to remain a duo?
Personally I am fine with beeing a duo, because we two exactly know what we want and too many cooks can spoil the broth easily. I just don't see the reason to have more members, as we can handle everything just fine. But also you should never say never.

6.The album was released on 'Satanath Records', are you happy with the support that they have given yo so far?
Yes we are. Alexey Korolyov gives his heart and soul for the russian metal scene, he is a very good dude, the CDs are really quality stuff, can't really expect more.
But the album was a split release with Slaughterhouse Records from the US, also a big thanks to them.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
Generally the feedback has been really good. Actually better then I thought it would be. Of course you have some elitists which ramble that this is not Black Metal because it has Lead Guitars and so on, but that was to be expected.
It's always nice to see your music gets played in countries you would never expect. Since I started making music over 10 years ago this was always what I loved the most. You can post your songs online and everyone in the world can just hear it and leave feedback.

8.Are any of the band members currently involved with any other bands or musical projects?
Yeah, I am always involved in some projects, I get bored really easy ;) Most projects are not in the realm of Metal but Dark Electro to be exact. The only other Metal project I am running is Azlazah with a friend of mine, we are working on our debut Album, too.
As I. XII wants to stay anonymous I don't know if I am allowed to speak about his projects, so I won't.

9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
I think that we will refine our style with every release, to find our own unique sound. We are very close, but there is always something to improve on.
The recordings for "Wintergedanken" where "not ideal" to say it mildly, but we did the best we could with it and embraced all the little flaws it has. It's that feeling that you can not recreate if you just had recorded the album new.
We always try to learn from our mistakes, so every album will also be a little step forward.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Well, as I have a very wide array of music i like to listen to, it's mostly not a direct influence for me. I also just don't want to copy something I hear.
From Black Metal to Dark Electro to Folk there is so much to discover.. In fact too much. Unfortunatelly I don't listen very much too new stuff coming out. I don't know why, but often enough it just doesn't kick me right now. But that will also change again I am sure.
Sorry for not giving my "Alltime Favourite Band List" as it would be unfair to just name a few bands.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?
Well, after my regular job I hole up in my homestudio working on new stuff and also doing mixing and mastering jobs for other Projects, there is just not enough time for non musical interests ;)

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
I want to thank everyone who gave Tyakrah a try and if you like atmospheric music you should do too!
Thanks for this interview and the review on our album, it is all very appreciated.

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment