Friday, May 30, 2014

Laracna Interview


1.                For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
Laracna is a Black Metal band from the west of Paraná state in south of Brazil. An old school black metal band, similar to first wave acts. Released two demos from its birth in 2009 to present.2.So far you have released 2 demos, can you tell us a little bit about about the musical direction both recordings have taken and also how do they differ from each other?

The first demo was recorded with a different vocalist, who did the sound engineering and programmed the drum machine. At the time has the first experience in a studio recording, so I tried to find how the things work and see the 
result. The outcome has a very poor, horrible performance from the vocalist and the mixing of the demo. So, I decided to dismiss him, work by myself and re-record the songs from the first demo with a new vocalist. The main conception for the second demo has the most primitive and essential kind of extreme music, straight the point. As a composerI am always very self-critical to my workand I tried to find the right riffs that would bring what I felt at the time; looking for originality and essence of this kind of music.

3.Your lyrics cover Anti Christian themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your hatred for this religion?

When I wrote the lyrics I always thought to a philosophical way to broach religion/theistic themes.  In the demo, I tried to link the monotheistic religions to Platonic conception of Idealism. Well, Platonic thought have a strong perspective of Idealism, especially in Euthydemus, Meno and The Republic (not in all Platonic work, Timaeus is an exemple), and this kind of tradition configures not only the Christian perspective, but the occidental world. The hatred that we can found in the lyrics is not only a critical of Monotheist perspective or other kinds of religions, but an Idealistic thought that is present in many things, to be an inherent part of Western logical thought and history. The main idea has to the listenerthought about this perceptive and interprets by himself. 
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Laranca'?

Laracna means Shelob in Portuguese, the giant spider of The Lord of the Rings by  J.R.R. Tolkien. I choose that because it’s name with a strong meaning and can represent the sound of the band.

5.According to the metal archives page the band is on hold, can you tell us a little bit more about it?
In 2012, after I recorded the demo Laracna, I began to work in new songs for an EP, but I had a lot of work in the University at the time; the vocalist doesn’t show interest for the band and I don’t found a drummer. So, I decided to split-up for a time to clear the head and work in some personal/professional problems. I still don’t have date to work again in music, maybe in future.

6.Has the band done any live shows or is this strictly a studio project?No, the band never did a live show, I never found a drummer in my region for the work. I work strictly in my home studio since 2011.  

7.On the recent demo you did a cover of Sepultura's "Antichrist" what was the decision behind doing your own version of this legendary track?
I always liked to play some covers, so I asked my friend Vizjerei Efreet to sing in a song of the demo and we choose Antichrist. Old Sepultura was a big influence to me and this song was perfect for the demo sonority.

8.Currently you are unsigned, have you received any label interest in the past?
No, the band never received real interest of a label. I never had contact with people that work in the scene or labels. Contacts are much more important than material with quality for labels and live shows, and I'm sure this is the big factor at this point.

9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
Low, I don’t receive opinions from reviews, material or contacts. I have some contact with people in Paraná state, this one have a good feedback.
10. Are you involved with any other musical projects these days?
No, I have an Electronic/Noise project called Katrasis, but is stagnant about two years.

11.Where would you like to see this band heading into musically during the future?
Try to improve the sound quality using a real drum, more complexity in musical structure, use of different tones and perspectives.

12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
It is a very difficult question to answer. In past I listened more Extreme Metal, Old Thrash, Black and classic Heavy Metal. But I never stayed listening only one genre, I tried to understand the characteristics of each style of music to learn how to appreciate and criticize stuff. So, I listen to Extreme music as to traditional southern Brazilian music and experimental like Stockhausen and Xenakis.
Nowadays is hard to tell, depends on the mood and time. This week, for example, I had listened to Bathory, Thy Light and Renato Borghetti.
13.What are some of your non musical interests?

I have a Bachelor's degree in History, so of course I'm have interest in this area. Philosophy, Philology, Mechanics, Physics, Literature, et cetera. I always try to 
learn different areas of knowledge. 14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
I like to thank you for the review and the interview. 

No comments:

Post a Comment