Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Throne Below Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?
Throne Below is a one-man act hailing from South Africa but now based in Thailand. The project started out in 2008 as an ambient/raw Black Metal act band but later changed to a more straight forward approach. A demo was released in 2009 and in 2011 another demo was released. In 2013, the first full length album was released.
2.How would you describe your musical sound?
I would describe the sound as cold Black Metal with dark melodies and heavy bass lines.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
Lyrically, the album deals with religious deceit and rebelling against the ones who spread and enforce their beliefs like a disease. It also touches on choosing yourself as the ruler of your own path and granting yourself the knowledge to live in absolute freedom, free of the mundane!
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
I think the name is pretty self-explanatory and open to the listener to interpret. If “heaven” would be home to “God’s” throne above, then the Throne Below would be the direct opposition. This throne would belong to “the self” as a reflection of ruling your own path.
5. Currently there is only 1 member in the band, do you feel this gives you more freedom with your music that you could not do with a full band?
It definitely gives me more freedom and allows to me work at my own pace, whether that’s grossly accelerated (working until 4 a.m.) or completely unproductive at other times. Sometimes it’s important to collaborate with other minds, as you could probably come up with something more original, but I have other projects for that!
6. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or received any interest?
I haven’t received any interest, but neither have I approached any labels. I’ve done everything D.I.Y. thus far and I’m content with that. Should a label approach me one day, I might consider such a partnership for the ease of release purposes.
7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
Since I don’t do any live shows/tours, it takes a longer time for my music to reach ears across the world, but I would say that I’ve received a good level of positive feedback from individuals across Europe, South America and the U.S.
8. What is going on with the other musical project these days?
I’ve recently revived the other Black Metal project “Belthezar” with my comrade and it’s slowly but surely getting back on it’s feet. The project was on a hiatus for 2 years but we’ve started writing material again!
9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
I can’t speak collectively for all the future releases, but I have envisioned the next album being harsher in sound and possibly more complex in arrangement. I want a darker, more spiritual feeling for the next album.
10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Lately, my music has been strongly influenced by orthodox Black Metal bands. Mainly because that’s what I’ve been listening to lately. I always feel like Black Metal is a journey – you start out with the commercial stuff and slowly you find yourself going deeper down the rabbit hole until you find the serious acts, taking their craft to the extreme. At this point in time, orthodox BM feels like the purest form of Black Metal with it’s supreme devotion and that in itself is a major influence and driving point. I also get inspired by classical musicians and some Balkan jazz music interestingly enough. I’d say my top 5 albums I obsess over right now are:
1. Acherontas – Amenti
2. Ascension – Consolamentum
3. Orcivus – Consummatum Est.
4. Nightbringer - Hierophany Of The Open Grave
5. Dodecahedron - Dodecahedron
11.How would you describe your views on Occultism?
Not all Black Metal acts are Occultists in the purest sense, but I feel that Occultism makes the music more intense and goes beyond the music itself. You should be serious about the message you convey in your music and Occult Black Metal proves to be most devout about it’s purpose.
12.The project was originally from South Africa but now located in Thailand, are there any other black metal bands from both countries that you would recommend?
From my home country, I would recommend an upcoming Occult black/death metal band called “Shrine ov Horns”, but they haven’t released any music yet. For Thailand, I would probably recommend Surrender of Divinity!
13.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Studying Gnosticism/Luciferianism, gaming, watching interesting videos and documentaries and teaching English.
14.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Let us rise against the hypocritical religions, not with blades or guns as they do, but with words and music. Follow your own path and always seek new knowledge to better your state of being, for it is you who is the leader of your own fate!
Thank you for the interview and support, it is greatly appreciated.

Facebook
Myspace
ReverbNation

No comments:

Post a Comment