Saturday, May 25, 2013

Nuit Noire Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
We are in may 2013 and I was on a 7-date european tour one month ago, it was a great experience, one of the best moment in the Nuit Noire history. Now I have to finish the new recording, a one-sided LP called "A Beautiful Belief". The last album "The Gigantic Hideout" on LP and the double-tape compilation "Depths Of Night - Collection Of The Early Demo Tapes" are being released on Preposterous Creations.

2. How would you describe the musical sound of the newer music and how it differs from previous releases?
By 2003, the voice got a big punk - new wave touch and the compositions got shorter. It hasn't moved that much since that year, even if on the last album i did something very dense in the instrumental and vocal arrangements.

3. I have noticed over the years the music has went from being more straight forward black metal to being more punk orientated, what was the decision behind this direction?
If you listen to "Forever", the second composition of the band that is on the very first demo tape, you'll hear that the verses are just pure punk, it has always been there but I think people don't see it because of the vocals. Nuit Noire has "suddenly turned punk" in 2003 with the "Lunar Deflagration" album when I changed the vocals, but punk has been there from the beginning, instrumentally.

4. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
Nuit Noire is totally dedicated to night and fairies, from the beginning. It is more or less explicit in the lyrics but always there.

5. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
Nuit Noire, as I told in the previous answer, is entirely devoted to the night and its fairies, "nuit" means "night", that's what I want to talk about, but not the night of the discotheques or the street life, with all those artificial lights, it is the night of the dark woods lightened by the moon and the stars and its fairies hidden from the human eyes. That's why "noire", it means "black" or "dark".

6. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
There has been more than 50 shows now, i have a lot of good memories like the one made in the bar of my home town in 2000 with Necrocult and Cafard, the 5-year anniversary show in 2003, the Tapette Fest in 2006, the concert in Slovenia in 2007 with all those fairies of paper hung to the walls, the concert in Hamburg last month, it was the longest one I have ever done, two hours, Nuit Noire was the only band to play that night. If you attend a Nuit Noire show nowadays, you will see a guy alone dressed weirdly, sitting behind a bass drum and a snare/bass drum, handling a guitar and singing. You may wonder if I am crazy, and I am.

7. Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
Nothing concrete for now.
8.Recently you put out a split with Trist, what are your thoughts on the other band that participated?
Trist is a very strong act, very strong in its fragility. During the life of this band, he expressed disillusion and disenchantment in an extremely pure and powerful form, with no compromise. It is admirable.

9.I have read that one of the members runs the Creations of the Night label, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
It is my own label, I had created it in 2004 so I can eventually put out Nuit Noire releases by myself, it is not meant to have other bands, just my own one.

10. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal and punk?
So far very good. Of course some people think it is the worst band ever made, but some others think it is one of the best. It is what happens when one does his art with no compromise.

11. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
The recording I'm doing right now will not be as dense as "The Gigantic Hideout" instrumentally, it will be more comparable to the three previous ones, and for the future one I may do something very straight.
12. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Maybe Nirvana? It is hard to tell, it can be so many things, and sometimes it is even not conscious. Right now I am listening a lot to Summoning, probably my favorite band ever, and I can't wait to receive my pre-ordered collector version of the new album.
13.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
With my wife we take care of our four children, we made the two last ones together. As almost everybody I watch movies and listen to music. And I am currently developing, when I have time, a role-playing-game, a real one played with dices, I have been into that since my teenage years.
14.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview/
May the fairies be with you all and enlight this ugly world!

Bandcamp
Facebook
Myspace
Official website
ReverbNation

No comments:

Post a Comment