Friday, April 6, 2012

Atrabilis Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the project these days?

I'm totally focused on a full-lenght. I just finished the last release weeks ago, so I'm not busy for a time, just answering mails and sending stuff here and there from time to time.


2. How would you describe the musical sound of the 2012 material and how it differs from the older recordings?

I'm behind the music yet so it's the same. It differs in some aspects... but there's no particular reasons. Atrabilis is in a continuous evolution with myself and I just can't control it. Maybe the sound is more powerful and complex now in some moments... but I think it remains primitive, the same essence. For sure, my sound is mine and not just another product of some cloning studios. Same with artwork... The personal touch is near extinction nowadays.


3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the project explores with the music?

This is basically instrumental music. The vocals just work like an instrument, using words randomly with or without sense. I just make an experience of every recording session, becoming sick with the vocal interpretation without any previous preparation. I think anxiety is the main subject.


4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the projects name?

I think it fits with the emotional and psycho side (conduct and feelings related to the black bile concept) and with the dark side of this project.


5. Currently there is only 1 member, are you planning on adding other musicians in the future or do you choose to remain solo?

I used to look for live musicians... but that's all. If someone enter the project, it will be just as session member. I can't trust anymore in the “standard bm guy” just cause he listen to BM, too many fucked up tourists out there... so probably people I know or worked with for some time could be a solution for live acts.


6. Currently you are unsigned are you looking for a label and if so, what kind of label do you feel that would be a perfect fit for your music?

I already worked with LFDM Records. Recently, I talked with another spanish label (tba) for the upcoming full-lenght. Any serious label can contact me for a concrete release (instead of sign), in the meantime I appreciate the advantages of self-releasing, diy is definitely my cup of tea.


7. So far you have only put out splits and ep's are there any plans in the future to put out a full length?

Yes, like I said, the full-lenght is in progress right now. Probably, will be out after summer... (label to be announced), after that is already planned another EP for 2013 (just the idea).


8. On a worldwide level how has your music been recieved by fans of black metal and dark ambient?

Atrabilis is growing slow with patience and work in the right way, if we consider my intentionally real and serious promotion, including: not write 2000 comments on last.fm or send 8000 friend requests on myspace, fucking pathetic attitude, always with wannabes and copycats involved looking for social “benefits” virtual pseudo-fans or simply fuckin' hustlers. Hi beggars out there.

For the EP promotion I just send 13 cd's to zines and write some mails... I was looking for people really into this... and this way was enough to get an interview in probably the best spanish paperzine out there, some good reviews, some real followers and appreciation, half dozen labels interested in release something and some orders, starting from zero without any previous contact in the “scene” or favors, so I think is ok!

Moreover with the “non fit any sub-genre and quite difficult to listen” status Atrabilis have, I admit that the feedback received it's quite surprising for me.

9. Are there any other projects besides this one or is this a full time project?

This is a full time project cause I do what I fuckin' want with it and I don't need to create 28380923 projects fitting each tag/subgenre out there. Usually musicians have the standard project to be someone in the normal world to reach some kind of status easily, something they can show to their parents or something... to any fucking one out there, without scaring them. And then they create the weird sideproject doing what they really like. So, this project is full time cause it hasn't got limits and it doesn't care about anything.


10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

I don't know, cause I don't know my own direction in life. Atrabilis grow in/with me.


11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Obviously, BM give me the clues, the base, the floor... but I am who walk upon it.
And what I'm listening nowadays?
The list is eternal. I can't stop listening stuff. From Django Reinhardt to George Crumb, from Diapsiquir to Branikald, from Hell Militia to Nadja, from Klub des Loosers to Culprate, from Arckanum to Proclamation, from Hans Zimmer to Impetuous Ritual...
But if you're looking for something in common I think 90% of my listening fit darkness or at least primitivism & weirdness.


12. Does Occultism play any role in your music?

No really, just in terms of seriousness, gravity, spirituality, rituality etc. I'm quite grave with music and daily life, but not too much with the band appearance... I mean, I'm grave but I'm not a monk, nor a psychopath...


13. Outside of music what are some of your interests?

My studies of history & sciences of music... wait, that's music. I like fishing, geocaching, videogaming (underrated art of s.XXI) reading (basically essays around my professional discipline, not too much fiction) and watching movies.


14. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Visit www.atrabilis.es
Thanks.

D.

1 comment:

  1. "From Django Reinhardt to George Crumb, from Diapsiquir to Branikald, from Hell Militia to Nadja, from Klub des Loosers to Culprate, from Arckanum to Proclamation, from Hans Zimmer to Impetuous Ritual..."

    Fuckin' insane taste

    ReplyDelete